Saying this one word, “No” to your desires to shop, dine out, use debit/credit cards, entertainment, etc. is the fastest way to get hold of your finances. Don’t be afraid of the word but know that using it gives you POWER! Here are some popular scenarios:
- “Mom can we have Chick-fil-a for dinner tonight?” Now you know there is a plethora of food at home, so just say “No!” Besides if your kids are still alive your cooking isn’t that bad.
- “Do you want to put in $25 for the NFL pool this season?” Think of all the other things you could do with $25 like invest in your business you dreamed of starting. Or you will need it for fuel next week to get to and from work. Say it with me “NO! I’m good. Thanks for asking.”
- “There is this new (iPhone, nightclub, golf course, yoga studio, etc.). You have to buy/try it.” You know you have debt and the costs for each of these will end up being costly. I will help you say it “NO!”
- So if it is really difficult for you to say “No” verbally, you can say “No” by
- crossing your arms,
- placing your hands in your pockets
- if you are sitting down you can cross your ankles or legs
- raise one eyebrow
- screw your lips
It is very important for you to learn to say “No.” The word “No” is not a bad word. You must learn to pause and reflect before you take action. Saying “No” simply gives you the POWER to make better decisions especially with your finances. Say it with me “NO!”
4 thoughts on “Single Most Powerful Word in Your Finances – “NO””
Awesome advice and so timely during the holiday season.
Great advice! I’m currently teaching this concept to my 17 year old! LOL!!
Good luck with your 17 y.o.! My oldest nephew was “educated” by me at 5 y.o. when he say a GAP commercial and asked for a new pair of jeans…now at 23 y.o. he knows better LOL
LikeLiked by 1 person